Friday, April 29, 2011

FLASK April 27-28

April 27:
61 miles to Pattonville, TX. Slept well so slept in. Terrific headwind all morning so progress was slow but my spirits were up because Rae loves me. I was in the middle chain ring all day, except at the very end of the day when the wind abated & I needed to stand up to get off my pimpled ass. I saved a turtle today by getting him out of the road's tire track. Weather was intermittent clouds but it cleared up & the wind died down just as the sun was casting downward. There's a lot more farmland & big ranches out here. Found a roadside picnic area to settle into. I was a little paranoid as I fell asleep but as the traffic died down, I settled down. My perra formis were tight sdo sleeping on my side was uncomfortable.
April 28:
88 miles to Pottsboro, TX. 730-700. Breakfast in Paris. Texans are still allowed to smoke in restaurants ... hmmm. Beautiful, sunny day, moderate temperature, light headwind. I got of Hwy 82 to 56 so I could roll through small towns. Texans aren't nearly as friendly as the other states I've been in - they usually don't wave back & actually look at me like, "I don't know you so why are you wavin'?" From about mile 55 to the end of riding at 88 I was only off the bike twice. Once to walk the bike across a highway median around a detour & then around mile 82 to eat some trail mix since I was on the verge of bonking. Freddie & Jami came to get me about 6 miles from the marina (yea!) & we hung out on or near their big, beautiful boat - the S.S. Minnow - til 11. Jami's a sweetheart & Freddie's exactly the same - fun, funny, engaging, sincere, & nice. I'm so glad to see him again & I'm looking forward to a long, relaxing, drunken weekend - off the bike! I slept out on the deck in a wonderful light breeze. I wish my perri formis would loosen up so I could sleep on my side for awhile. Rae was already in bed when I called - poor thing was worn out & I would've liked to have been laying right next to her.

2 comments:

  1. Better a pimple on your ass than a permanent lump! Sounds like your're having a great time! Have fun when Mimi catches up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding and racing in East Texas back in the 70's was even worse. Open car doors, sticks, beer bottles, rocks, chains, loaded baby diapers; you name it, they aimed it at cyclists. Karin even had a redneck fire a rifle over her head from his mobile home. You are in Lance's old neighborhood now so those folks should be a lot more tolerant of cyclists.

    ReplyDelete